Monday, February 20, 2017

Filigree Quilt


I did it. I made a quilt (!!!). 
This pattern is a great one to jump into...and it's free!
It looked like a daunting pattern and the instructions said "intermediate" but I went for it. I followed the directions to the letter and went slowly and methodically at every step of the way. I was catching up on "Downton Abbey" and doing things the proper way seemed like the right thing to do.

This quilt is from a kit and it makes a quilt that is a throw size, about 56 x 56. 
The colors couldn't be more beautiful and the texture of the fabric is amazing...very silky and soft. 
I gathered my materials and printed the patterns and instructions in color to help me better follow along. I started this just a tad over a week ago, and I've already completed it (yep. even binding and washing!). 
Aren't these fabrics beautiful?
I love quilts with white accents and strips, but this one also has a chambray strip and it is so pretty.
 
At each step, I carefully laid the pieces out and rechecked my pattern. I also followed closely the pressing arrows (did you know that clothing gets ironed but quilt pieces get pressed? You probably did...). 
I loved this quilt already at this point and was so excited to see it finished. These "butterflies" and strips took a few hours total. I knocked them out in two afternoons after getting home from school.


 
The butterflies and strips join together to make the quilt squares.
I got excited each time that my points all came together in the way that they are supposed to.
The squares join together to make 4 wide strips.
The strips join together the make the quilt front. 
This all came together in just a couple of episodes of Downton Abby.
I took my backing fabric and sewed it so that the seam was in the middle and now was wide enough for my quilt. 
Once the quilt front is completed, you are ready to make a sandwich. This is quilt basting and it is the step that I botched in the past. I now know what did wrong in the past (too few pins when pin basting, cheap batting that was too high lofted for machine quilting, and going to too tiny of stitches). 
I began by cleaning my kitchen floor and taping it face-down with painter's tape. 
I opted to spray baste this time around. Spray basting is like a spray adhesive and comes out very fine (like hairspray). I sprayed my batting (the middle portion of the quilt) and smoothed it out over the quilt back. I then sprayed the batting again and smoothed the quilt top on. I trimmed away the excess and got to work.
I wasn't sure how I wanted to quilt this...was this the time to experiment with free motion? I love the look of line quilting. I opted with using my 1/4 inch guide and quilted on either side of the white and chambray lines in both directions which played on the design of the quilt and was still as easy as line quilting. This took about two or three episodes to complete. 
After quilting your three layers together I made the binding from the fabric in the kit, which is a really neat linen. I opted to do this by hand and used very tiny ladder stitches. 
Here it is! The finished product!
Above is before wash and below is after washing (on delicate and in cold water) and drying.


 I love the look when they are freshly washed and a bit more "crinkly". That is when they look like real quilts to me. My binding stayed together and none of my seams opened up (like they did in my dreams). The entire time I was making this, I was making it with a dear friend in mind. I need to do a little more pep-talking into actually giving it away.


I would ABSOLUTELY make this quilt again. I would likely quilt it differently next time and do more lines and just one direction. It is the softest, most delicate throw. I am so thankful for such clear, concise, and logical instructions. 



1 comment :

boyzmom said...

My mom quilted and loved it. She did all of her quilting by hand...I can't even imagine! I am so impressed with your talent and happy to see a young woman taking up such a lost art. So beautiful!